Friday, January 1, 2010

What if............

What if we all stopped for a moment and actually let the fact that it is now 2010 sink in? I can't believe that it has been ten years since high school, eight years since I got married and twenty years since I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the big screen. All of these facts have made me realize just how short life is and made me wonder just how much time I have wasted.

Apart from that, I have also been thinking a lot about the past and reflecting on people and things that I consider important. I was recently given the family van by my Dad. I remember when they brought it home from the dealership twenty years ago all shiny and new. I also remember many miles and many adventures taking place in that van. Sometimes when I drive it I really wish I was eight again and had no responsibility or worries. I also re-discovered a cartoon series called The Mysterious Cities of Gold that I watched regularly as a kid. It is funny how many god times I began to recall as I watched those cartoons, I even found myself singing the theme song while walking around the house.

I think what makes retro so cool is that it takes us all back to a time when we were comfortable and secure. I have greatly enjoyed sharing some of my childhood with my kids first hand, that is an opportunity that many parents do not get. How many of us are lucky enought to drop our kids off at school in the same family van that our parents dropped us off in. We have a blast watching old cartoons together. I get a real kick out of watching my kids pretend to be the same characters that I did while I was growng up.

It's too bad that I have to be a responsible adult now and go to work and pay bills. I really miss the days when all I had to worry about was who I was going to play with and how soon dinner would be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment