As many of you out there probably know, the latest version of Sony's Reader Library software has some issues. For the last two weeks I have been struggling with it. I was able to install the program but when I tried to launch it...........nothing! The process "Reader Library.exe *32" would appear in the Task Manager of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit but nothing would happen.
I had this issue on two machines, both running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and finally arrived at a solution. It is important to note, however, that I have only tried this with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit but the same process should work on other 64bit Windows platforms as well.
And now what you have all been waiting for...........
Remove the Sony Reader Library from your system. This can be done by using the "Uninstall a Program" feature found in the Control Panel's category view. (Vista and Windows 7 only. XP users will use "Add/Remove Programs")
Delete the following folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\eBook Library
Make sure to delete the entire folder, not just the contents. Also, if you are unable to see the "AppData" folder complete the following steps (Vista and Windows 7 only):
1. In a Windows explorer window click the "Organize" drop down in the top left corner.
2. Click "Folder and Search Options".
3. Select the "View" tab.
4. Tick the radio button labeled "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
5. Click "Apply".
6. Click "OK".
You should now be able to see and explore the "AppData" folder.
Reboot the computer.
That's right turn it off and on again.
Install the Sony Reader Library Software:
1. If you have not already done so download the software here: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
2. Right click the installer file and select "Run as Administrator".
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE..........
Disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention) by completing the following steps:
1. Click "Start".
2. Right click "Computer" select "Properties".
3. Click "Advanced System Settings".
4. Select the "Advanced" tab.
5. Under "Performance" click "Settings".
6. Select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
7. Tick the radio button labeled "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."
8. Click "Apply".
9. Reboot the computer (Again, sorry!)
If all went well you should now be able to launch the Reader Library, browse the store and purchase books for your Sony eReader. You will even be able to sync with your reader in the epub format that Sony adopted with the latest update to the software.
We love our Sony PRS-505 reader, but the software has been a real headache. There are alternatives out there like Callibre, however, shouldn't the software intended for our readers be the best choice?
Hopefully Sony will find a much more elegant and straight forward solution soon, but until then I hope some frustrated user out there will find this information helpful and once again be able to enjoy the Sony eReader as it was intended.